Monday, July 09, 2007

Really, There Is No One Out There

"Really, there is no one out there."

My head kept on echoing these words on my way back from Bugis Junction.

This stems from last Christmas while I visited Singapore. I thought MAK was in Singapore, I tried very hard to get in touch with her, just to meet up with her.
When everything failed, I went back to Penang depressed. My mood hit an all-time low, to the point my body immunization mal-functioned. In the midst of a particular night, a thought flashed through: "Maybe.., there is no one out there."

So it goes a few months and the thought starts to gain more ground.

Last Saturday I made one more try, and emailed her for a movie. As usual, there was no reply from her end. Instead, I got an anonymous blank email which I always naively assumed those are her 'responses'.

When the tickets were booked, I planned to tell Mr. Snail I would not be available on Saturday. But I was struck by the thought again, the thought there is no one out there and everything is fictional. Since Mr Snail knew the story between I and her, I told him my plan. To be honest, he never believes this relationship exists, let alone it will work. Still he was kind enough to agree as a back up, just in case if MAK didn't show up ('probability of showing up is 0.0001', he said).

I arrived Bugis around two. Before that I stopped at Kallang to gaze upon the canal, and observed briefly a big brown cat drinking water by the roadside.

Maybe I sounded quite serious on the possibility of her showing up, Mr. Snail brought along two friends so that he had company if I was with her. At around 4:20, we two stood near the elevator at the Cineplex floor, overseeing the lower floors. With my prior experiences, I expected the worst, though I still hoped I could
be right. People came, people left, no hit. It ended up I went in the theater with Mr. Snail (the two other guys went in first).

On my way home, I tried not to think about this, but that night was proven long and bitter. Many thoughts hovered around the room: the emotions, the feelings, and all the memories.

"I am exhausted...", I heard myself saying

"Really, there is no one out there"

I know I have to bite the bullet and accept the reality. How long can I live in self-denial?

So far my story sounds naive, if not silly. I admit it is.

The reason I have been doing this is I don't want to wreck a potential relationship for some solvable factors like miscommunications, or just for some stupid ego. I don't want to leave any regret in my later years to learn the relationship didn't work out just because I didn't say "I love you" frequent enough, I didn't coax convincingly enough, or I didn't pursue her hard enough while she had been waiting.
I can't afford to leave any stone unturned. No matter how small the chance is, I want to try.

"Really, there is no one out there". Now I know, and I am learning to accept.

On a happier note: To move on, I plan to start dating again. :D

Stay tuned...