Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Work for Things That You Love

My office computer just arrived, and as usual for office computers, it is the usual cheapo: Dell Optiplex 360. What really amazes me is this darn thing doesn't come with reset button, so anything wrong I will have to long-press the power button to shut it down, then hit the button again to start it. What a piece of junk, no wonder Dell's finance in such a mess.

The first thing that I did when I got the machine was to install Ubuntu and all the essential packages that I need and love. However I found out ALL my colleagues are actually doing Linux development under Windows, and they test their work by running Linux under Vmware. My initial reaction went like "What!?!", one of them told me he just hates Linux and Linux just doesn't work for him. The rest of the guys echoed similar sentiments. It is darn odd to be the only guy in the group who likes and enjoys using Linux. (Disclosure: now I am typing this blog under OpenSolaris, and I think OpenSolaris has a bright future). I keep my laptop running Vista not because I like it, but because so far there is no driver for my dual graphic cards and I have no time to develop one.

My colleague's remark keeps me thinking about the meaning of work. How happy can you be when you are working something that you hate? Just like a cook who doesn't enjoy good food and a mechanic who hates driving. All these people are just spending most of their waking hours in unhappiness.

From my experience, when a product is developed by people who don't use it, there will be a lot of problems. My first job was developing and testing of software drivers for network processors. Once there was a very obvious defect in USB, but it passed through the regression tests and system tests. Finally uncovered by a customer. He just questioned my manager "How the hell you guys tested your software?". The reason was simple, the developers only talked about women, handphones, cars, and movies, they didn't like the product and no one ever bothered to do any pet projects with those chips (these chips are actually quite powerful and versatile). The next job was on walkie-talkies, again the developers never actually carried one and used it, and as expected, the product gave a lot of issues after few hours of use.

I am happy after years of struggle, I get paid to do things that I will do anyway when I am free. Although there is deadline hanging on my head, nevertheless I still feel good about going to work every morning when I wake up.

4 comments:

kozmcrae said...

After years of reading and responding to comments about Linux, I've come to believe in Linux Karma. The most unfortunate souls are the ones who loudly profess the superior quality of Microsoft's wares and the righteousness of proprietary software in general. They will still be using their precious OS from Microsoft long after legitimate copies of Windows 8 (yes, Windows 8) can be found collecting dust in the markdown bin at Ocean State Job Lot for $1.99.

Jimmy L. said...

Good good :) you gotta like wot you do indeed.

The Soothsayer said...

What??? You don't like Microsoft Windows??? May the might of BillG smite you down, heretic!

Cuppa Chai said...

Sooth: Haha, I am adamant to rebel against uncle G. :P