Saturday, January 17, 2009

OpenSolaris Kernel Building (Part 1)

Building the kernel for open-source OS is the rite of passage for any self-respecting nerds. I have ample of experience in compiling Linux kernels, for the x86 platform and a couple of ARM platforms, and today I tried my hands on OpenSolaris kernel.

It seems the process is not straight forward, and until now I still can't get it done.

The problem lies in the documentation and the kernel source code don't come in one clean package. The relatively weak package management system also exacerbates the situation as I need to run around to hunt for dependencies. Another issue that I face is the poor documentation, not the lack of it, but there are contradicting documents on Sun's website to the extent I am not sure which document is up-to-date and usable.

After digging through the web and some careful investigations, the following sites seem credible:

I have most of the needed packages in place, and I figure the next thing I need to do is to follow the instructions closely to get my kernel compiled. However I am still very new to Solaris and need more time to figure out the overall system architecture.

No comments: