Saturday, March 03, 2007

Thoughts when I was Sick

Sickness, death, unhappiness, imperfectness have one thing in common: they all are classified as negative elements and no one welcomes any of them. However in the duration of my fever days ago, I was in a mental state where everything seemed really negative, dead-end, unrepairable, and hopeless. This was scary, but it also offered me an opportunity to ponder upon on this class of problems: sickness, death, and did some interesting experiments with my brain (it was idle anyway). In a world where optimism and positivism are endorsed, thinking all these negative terms is an eye-opener for me. Though I actually felt shit that time, but after I was through, I actually came out more positive.

My brain in 39 degree C has some interesting properties that aren't available in normal temperature of 37 degree C. The most visible property was the requirement for food and drink. My brain adamantly required plain warm water. Food-wise it asked for soup noodle or porridge. For the heck of it, I imagined various kind of food and drinks, like coffee, tea, milo, horlick, fried noodle, curry, etc. and 'offerred' them to my brain. My brain just rejecting most by saying 'not tasty'. As a note, yesterday when I was feeling better, the list I thought of earlier suddenly seemed more appealing.

I observe I tended to choose simple food and plain water when I was sick. I believe losing appetite to most food when sick is a natural protection we have. The advantages are we will get more rest as we won't have the urge to go out to find much food or food that is too exotic, second, by having relatively simple food, this will save the body some energy in digestion and thus accelerates the recuperation.

During that period, beside food, my brain also rejected most processings that need brain power. I guess in that kind of high temperature, my brain tried to maintain equilibrium and only preserve the most important functionalities. Anything that may perturb the equilibrium was instantly frown upon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's just lazy. Doesn't want you to move to a competitive environment.

Cuppa Chai said...

This I agree, the usual inertia in all of us.