Monday, March 12, 2007

I Work, therefore Am I?

When I drag my tired butt out from the office at 8:30p.m. just now, I have been wondering what is the real meaning of adult life.

Look, since young, I have jumped through countless loops and hoops: woke up damn early (don't know about you, at least I did) to go to school, studied for exams for subjects that we never bothered and cared to know (Malaysia history, moral education, yuck), stayed late for homework, wrote lab reports, etc. Have been repeated all these drills until grad school.

Once I am out, the situation doesn't really improve, though the good news among the bad ones is now I have income. But since this is the real world, tax form is always arriving promptly. In fact, our government has been ultra efficient in sending out tax form and collecting tax. It is just plain amazing.

Back to the topic of jumping hoops and loops, now in work life, I thought things would be different, but in fact they are not: I still wake up early (nope, I no longer can sleep until 9:30a.m.), I still need to study for exams (they call it formal technical reviews), and I still stay damn late to get things done.

You may guess I just want no work. Nope, this isn't what I want. I figure that if I were able to quit working and do whatever I want, I still will take up a job that I like, though I will be much more choosy and relaxed than I am now (some people say this depends on attitude, I can be more choosy and relaxed even NOW. They have a point here). However I still am not sure what is the job I like, this is the problem I have been mulling over all these time.

Well, that is life.

5 comments:

Snail said...

You will miss your current life, if you come to SG.

By the way, what form is the "formal technical review", short answer? multiple choice? or True or false?

Jimmy L. said...

Some say, having a gf simplifies the nights and delays the wake ups.

You sound like having a burnout. :)

Cuppa Chai said...

Snail: FTR is a design review meeting where 2-3 engineers will question your design approaches. Questions are open-ended and unpredictable.

F.S.: Burn-out is typical among engineers. Gf can solve some issues, but she will most probably introduce new issues if you are not careful. ;)

The Soothsayer said...

Girl friends are more trouble than they are worth. Get a boy friend. I think they;ll understand you better, although I can't say this from personal experience... ;)

Cuppa Chai said...

Sooth: why don't you try to get a bf and tell us the experience later? :P Pictures are welcome.