Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Tale of Viral Fever

Right after my return from the ultra-hectic Singapore trip, I fell sick instantly. The first tell-tale sign was loss of thinking ability, with eye-lids keep on trying to close. I slept for the whole Tuesday and half of Wednesday. Instead of a sound slumber, my brain was revolting, as if I was sleeping on a high-way and thoughts just cruised by and ran over my brain.

First thing I realize is the difficulty to move from a protected, less competitive place to an open, competitive place. Malaysia and Singapore can examples of the former and latter, respectively. In Malaysia, most companies are operating nearly at the low end of value chain, therefore the engineering work is inherently of less complicated type. This translates to simpler jobs. On top of that, the Malaysian laws also make sacking of an employee quite hard, except if that person has committed something serious. Therefore working in Malaysia, the life is good and cozy. Looking at Singapore, first the companies are aggressive and cost sensitive.
Second the government is pro-business, and non-performing employees can be easily replaced.

I will say the situation in Malaysia won't last long, mainly there are other developing countries competing. Companies are money-making business, and they won't tolerate non-performing execution for long. Once globalization really knocks on the door, a lot of unprepared people will suffer, I don't wish to be one of those.

Second thing I kept on thinking when lying helpless on bed, is hoping someone can cook me some hot chicken broth. I was willing to lower my requirement for a wife at that instant of time to just that.

No comments: