Friday, March 16, 2007

Kernel Upgrade Advisory

[Updated Mar 18]
The 2.6.20.3 also gives problem in network connectivity. At this stage I am not sure if it is the kernel or the RT61 network driver, though my gut feeling is the latter. For now I am reverting back to the 2.6.18.3 version, until I have time to fire a debugger and play with the issue.

====
I had been experiencing network connectivity issue on 2.6.20.1 kernel. It is supposedly a stable release, but in fact it isn't. I just downloaded 2.6.20.3 kernel and hopefully the issue(s) are addressed (After one hour of running, it seems I can still edit this blog entry fine...)

If you are running 2.6.20.1 kernel, an upgrade is nearly mandatory.

As a side note, Minix is out with version 3!! It has its own site here. Minix is using a microkernel architecture and was first written for educational purpose by Andrew Tanenbaum, a renown professor.

If you are more OS-inclined, the wikipedia entry above has a lot of interesting stuff, which can safely kill hours of your time. Enjoy!

3 comments:

The Soothsayer said...

Still using 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 for my desktop and laptop respectively. Just no time to do kernel upgrades (in case anything breaks).

Which distribution are you using?

Never tried Minix before but I have an old laptop from my friend with FreeBSD on it now... Probably will use it as a testbed in the near future. :)

Cuppa Chai said...

As far as I can tell, until 2.6.18.3 is still stable (actually it is my current emergency backup image).

I am a loyal fan of Slackware, mainly because it assumes the users know what they are doing and let you do things your way. I need this kind of freedom, instead of the hand-holding, you-have-no-clue-what-you-are-doing approach red hat employs. Of course the downside of Slackware is if you mess up, the system will be FUBAR'ed. Ubuntu has been receiving rave reviews, but so far I am happy with what I have. Won't move to it anytime soon.

FreeBSD is a close clone of Unix (the AT&T Unix lineage...). Architecture-wise it has a monolithic kernel, versus Minix's microkernel approach. FreeBSD & Minix are entirely different beasts.

The Soothsayer said...

Yeah, I meant that I'll be removing the FreeBSD and using that laptop as a testbed for other OS. ;)

I like their package management system, though. Akin to Debian/Ubuntu but you download the source code and compile it when you install, rather than the binaries. Nice.