Friday, February 23, 2007

Daily Tidbits

7:44 p.m.
He did not show up.

7:00 p.m.
I am back from my hometown after Chinese New Year. Now planning to prepare for interview.

Just now when I was walking back from my car after dinner, an indian guy approached me and introduced himself as 'James'. He claimed his motorcycle had problem and needed 10 bucks to buy lubrication oil.

At first I thought this was a hoax and tended to ignore him, he kept on pleading and promised he would repay me once he went to pick up his wife and got money from her. Finally, I gave him the money with the following considerations: first, 10 bucks is not a huge sum to me, my loss is all 10 bucks. Second, if he were really in emergency and no one helped him, the society is sick. Third, if he really cheats me, this further affirms my determination to leave this country.

I chose to bet there are good guys, well, I tend to view glasses as half-full and life is good. :)

He promised he would return in 30 minutes after picking up his wife, and promised to meet me at the car wash center just round the corner down the street.

Well, we will see then. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, what happened at the end?

Cuppa Chai said...

What happened at the end:
1. I lost my money, this is minor
2. I start to think if there is any better way to prevent this from happening again. ;)

Anonymous said...

You got conned but these guys are pros. After dinner, I'd ignore them. Before dinner, better find a new parking spot if you want to ignore them. :)