Thursday, May 01, 2008

Why Windows?

After months of begging and complaining, finally I get a more or less decent desktop to install Linux on. Before that I was only given a Dell laptop with Vista loaded (but I upgraded it to XP on the first day I got it, so much happier).

Just for the record. This is the first time I had to ask so many times for a computer, despite the plummeting prices of IT products.

No wonder my company is losing engineers like hell. They have no clue what engineers need.

My 'new' desktop was a decommissioned demo unit with a P4 and a modest 512MB of memory. After salvaging around the trash yard at the back of the company, I managed to get some more memory and made it 1GB.

First I installed Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE, instead of the standard Gnome environment) on it. The result wasn't too encouraging because the full package upgrade failed miserably and there were rough edges here and there which made my experience quite unpleasant.

Disappointed. I recalled Knuth also uses Ubuntu to write his stuff and the term 'used by Knuth' alone is more than enough reason for me to try this distro out. I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Long Term Support) Desktop Edition (1 CD ~700 MB).

The installation went very smoothly. Ubuntu detected everything automatically and get things up and running automagically.

Then I fired up the package upgrade and removed some packages like audio and movie players (my desktop doesn't have sound card) and added a couple of programming packages. Again, the experience was smooth and pleasant. Most importantly, no reboot was needed!

Ubuntu really is a breakthrough in terms of usability and robustness, and as a Linux user for 10+ years, finally this is a version of Linux that I don't need to recompile the kernel (I could if I want) or need to download source packages for compilations. Way to go Ubuntu! :D

Firefox 3 Beta. At da cutting-edge of techie...


Programs under the 'Office' menu. The background is the default wall paper

P/S: Today is labour day but I am blogging in office. Anyway, nowhere to go also. Mr. Snail invited me to go to Johor Bahru, but I am not too keen to see the mess over the causeway. For now it seems Ubuntu looks better. :)

2 comments:

The Soothsayer said...

Welcome to Ubuntu! Works well enough for me that I don't use Windows unless I absolutely have to.

Going to JB might be fun if you like to experience what it's like to live under siege from criminals. Just bring enough cash so that when the fifth or sixth robber comes for you, you have something left to give him. Don't want to imagine what would happen if you had nothing left. :P

Cuppa Chai said...

Yeap, Ubuntu has reached a relatively mature and usable state. I will use it more extensively before I can comment further. For now definitely it is better than Fedora Core.

I don't plan to go to JB except when necessary.