Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Friday Night Chill-Out

I have been in Singapore for close to one year, and last night was the first time I went to St. James Power Station, a renown disco complex with different outlets playing a variety of music.

Truth be told this was also the first time Cuppa set foot at a disco because of the loud music and smoky environment. Yesterday I made an exception, mainly due to curiosity of this renown outlet, and also gave myself a lame excuse to drink myself silly. Moreover, Singapore has banned smoking in public places and this contributed positively to my decision.

I and my friends arrived there around 7p.m, which was way too early for the party-goers to show up. Obviously, first thing most essential to Cuppa was beer, and a regular beer drinker I am, I was still a little bit shocked when I saw the waiters bring the 'mini barrel' my friends ordered. The first thought was when the hell would four of us finish this giant barrel of booz? (it was shown actually not hard at all, because we downed one more barrel later that evening)


"This is just the starter", one of my friends who goes clubbing regularly commented. Guess what is the capacity of this mini barrel? It is 3 jugs, or ~12 glasses, or 6 pints. At this point I must admit the super-cooled beer was damn fantastic.

Minutes later, a basket of mini champagnes was brought on table. Not sure its brand, the taste was a bit sour, but I still drank the whole bottle.


More and more people showed up as the night matured.

The lighting was dimmer and dimmer, music grew louder, alcohol was catalyzing its effects, bodies bonded closer, and the crowd started to get wild.

After a good few glasses of beer, the grip of my usually-rational left brain started to loosen, and the logical structures and rational thoughts were slowly replaced by blankness, thoughts were blended and meshed with the loud music and moving silhouettes around me (yes, it was that crowded) and slowly the mind was muddled.

I thought I would relax and enjoy the moment (whatever it was). With my left brain's guard down, my ultra emotional right brain took advantage of the situation and struck me with the total replay of everything about MAK. I found myself 'reasoned' that it was April Fool's Day and therefore she might not mean what she said.

I shook my head and sipped the glass of beer just filled by my friend. Music was getting even louder and my heart seemed to vibrate in rhythm with the earth-shaking high power music bass. All these years we were in the non-talking mode, it went nowhere and won't go anywhere at this status quo. I shook my head again. No clue.

This outlet has a stage and there were live bands performing periodically. To satisfy different tastes, the performers were dressed in different styles like Punk, Jazz, Japanese, Chinese Classical (80s era clothes). What amazed me was two of them even dressed in traditional Chinese attires (should be popular around thousand year ago, now only exist in movies) but sang not so traditional songs (aka modern songs). This is really a pragmatic and fast-learning country. As long as the trick will attract patrons and get revenues, whatever will go. Creative!

Singers dressed in old-style Chinese clothes

No comments: