Friday, March 21, 2008

The Good of Insufficiency

Today is holiday and Cuppa is glad to have a day off to clear off his laundry.

While hanging the clothes, I faced a problem. I didn't have enough cloth-clamps for the load of laundry I had. Since my washed laundry is left dry outdoor under the sun on bamboo poles, this posed a problem for me. The clothes would be blown away by wind in no-time without those clamps.

The first reaction was responsive and logical: go and buy some more clamps. However my laziness to walk forced me to rethink how I usually hung my clothes. After some thoughts, I found out a number of clothes don't need to be clamped if I arrange them in a more clever way. Hence after this 'crisis', I actually can make do with less clamps than I thought!

A step back on this problem will open up a whole new horizon:
Do we really need so much of X, for X = {time, money, shoes, hi-fi's, or any measurable stuff} ? Try to give yourself less, and see how your creative flares.

The oil crisis we are having now, though abhorred by many people who own cars, does serve the same purpose: it gives everybody an incentive to stop and rethink what have been doing so far. Most of the time, brain's inertia to think will just make us do things repetitively without questioning the said efficiency and effectiveness.

Do you really need to drive to the gym which is 2 miles away, hop on the treadmill to run 4 miles, and drive back?

Do you really need to have a car as big as elephant and one gallon of gas can only move it barely out of the garage?

An inconvenience on hand, coupled with laziness, is a golden opportunity for us to improve.

No comments: