Thursday, August 23, 2007

Weed-Out Courses

Every school has a weed-out course. Weed-out course is the modern equivalent of rite of passage in universities around the world, and their sole function is to screw the newly incoming students, hard. Once you survive, you are in the clan.

For the department of ECE in Purdue, legend has it that deep down the dark alley of EE building where the study room is located, swamps of souls of students died of nerve breakdown for uncompleted assignments wander around, all of them would whisper these same words "ECE 201, ECE 202". Most probably in their next lives they turn to the dark side by majoring in liberal arts like accounting or economics, and from then on have a lot of time on their hands and later even become my bosses. Shit.

I heard this is the weed-out course for MIT EECS: 6.001

3 comments:

The Soothsayer said...

The syllabus for the weed out courses from Purdue doesn't look too bad for someone of your intellect. I'm sure you aced it. :)

No comments on the MIT one because I've never taken a similar class.

My personal dislike are classes with control systems and I had to take 3 or 4 of them (grumble about f**ked up Malaysian education system)! Just had no real liking for those damping and response stuff but I sure as hell wished I had paid more attention in class now.

Jimmy L. said...

EE 301 (Signals) and EE 311 (EM) were the 2nd phase DDT weed-rape courses. (6)

Cuppa Chai said...

Sooth: Yeah, I had to ace these to get into grad. school. :P To be honest control system classes are optional in Purdue and I didn't find the interest to take them. In retrospect it looked like a mistake...

F.Stream: Yeah, 311 is the hell's gate for BSEE. This course has caused unmeasured number of EEs jumped to Computer Engineering :P