Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Exit Strategy

Last weekend I didn't go out for long. Instead I spent the whole Sunday to clean my room, did some laundry, and relaxed at home.

There are things to ponder upon, and on that Sunday I was thinking on how I am going to plan for my professional life.

The first important question is: Do I still want to be an engineer?

If I do, then some other questions to consider:

  1. For how long?
  2. Where?
  3. Do I still want to dive deeper in my current scope, or I need to increase the breadth?
If I don't, what else I want to do to eke out my incomes? Financial analyst? economist? businessman? or even as a modern farmer?

Unfortunately in the real-world there is always a gray area. A problem that has a lot of solutions, but each of those solution has trade-offs. I recognize this is called 'life'.

With regard whether I want to continue as an engineer, at this stage I am more keen to establish an exit strategy. An exit strategy I define as a plan that decouples the money part from the work itself. In other words, upon the fruition of my exit strategy, I can work on things that fancy me with minimal consideration on how to sustain my family and myself. Before that, I still think working on my specialization will give me more ROI (Return On Investments). All in all, I still like to be a geek. :)

Moving to Singapore is a good start: I don't need to worry too much about things like crimes, idiotic politicians, and growth opportunities. How long will I stay here? I don't know....

2 comments:

The Soothsayer said...

Financial analyst? economist? businessman? or even as a modern farmer?

I don't think you'd be able to open a farm in S'pore and I don't think you'd want to do it in Malaysia. My mother's friend back in good old Malaysia has an orchard. When the time to pluck the fruits arrive, a huge group of Indonesians armed with parangs come over to pick all the fruits claiming that it belongs to them. Nothing is done by the police. Yes, we're all screwed back home.

Cuppa Chai said...

Well, it seems there are too many foreigners in Malaysia now... Agree, we are screwed. -_-