Sunday, April 29, 2007

What I Need, What I Want, and What I Think

I wrote the following roughly 2 hours ago, upon re-reading it, I decide to remove some paragraphs. Those statements are too negative, and don't convey what I actually feel. I will say I am looking forward to a more fruitful relationship. After all, that is my main reason of going to Singapore (I could have chosen the less cumbersome Hong Kong). But I can't deny I am quite beaten these days after seeing this is going nowhere and always goes back to square one. I can't describe how much heartache I have had.

==========
Curiously, these are different, and in some more extreme instances, they are mostly disjoint sets.

Many people are not aware the differences between these three.

What I need: This includes the essentials to survive: food, water, air, rest, family support, love, mental/emotional stability, financial stability

What I want: Encompasses the nice-to-have, but not necessary stuff: not-essential supplements, fame, wealth, social statuses

What I think: This category is more abstract and subjective. It is based on my own perception and understanding of myself, and is formulated by my mind on what I think I need and want. Please pay attention to the words in bold. Hi Descartes!

For so long I have been trying to mold people whom I come across with my world view, a good example will be my brother: I have been urging him to be more proactive in life and plan further ahead, however he has his own way to live his life. He could have avoided a lot of pitfalls and pain if he were to listen to my advices. But all in all, this is his life, as a brother I have done all I can, the rest is his decision.

In conjunction of starting another chapter in my life in Singapore, I am re-examining my fatigued self.

No comments: