Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Exodus

I am relocating to Singapore in mid-May. This shouldn't come as a surprise for some of you. For the rest whom I couldn't notify in person, I apologize.

Since this Monday, I have been repeating my resignation reason for at least 3 times, first with my direct supervisor, then this morning a senior manager pulled me into a room and we went through the same drill again, and in the afternoon the company HR called and I repeated the script.

The reason I cited was: "My girlfriend is in Singapore now, and I have heartache for having her alone there after travelling half of the globe, therefore I will go down to be with her." This reason effectively throws off all the standard management and HR negotiation strategies.

The managers could only say "Are you sure you want to go down just for her?" and hoped I would change my mind. I gave them a very firm, no-turn-back affirmative. What I didn't mention are the rising crime rate, the closer distance to my hometown, and room for growth.

This is a major decision I made in my life, however whenever I need someone to talk to, as usual, she remains silent.... [heartache]

2 comments:

The Soothsayer said...

Wait a minute. Are you telling them that just to avoid the usual bs or is that the truth?

Cuppa Chai said...

Good question.

It is the truth, in fact, the main motivation that causes me to make such major decision. As a bonus, it also helps me to avoid the usual management talks. :)