Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Trip to Tempurung Cave

Last Saturday I explored Tempurung cave with F. Stream. The cave is around 200 kilometers away from Penang.


This trip was interesting on two fronts: first, there were initially 10 people: I, F. Stream, and his 8 colleagues, but for some weird reason, all those 8 people suddenly couldn't make it at the day before with almost the same reason. Nice, only left I and F. Stream for the expedition, I still decided to go on anyway. The second front was on myself, I regard this as a challenge on planning and plunging into the unknown.

6:45 a.m.

Morning street in front of my apartment

7:00 a.m.
My breakfast
7:15 a.m.

Penang bridge in the morning sun

Braving the sun!

Scene on the way to the cave
10:00 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Upon arrival, the local tour guide told us the 'grand tour' had a minimum requirement of 8 ppl., so we were short of 6 and the cut off time was 11 a.m. We waited for more potential explorers to come. People flew past us, small children, young couples, old folks, foreign visitors, local teachers, but we couldn't make a match, most people just preferred the easy, dry routes and avoided the 'grand tour' which was wet, strenuous, and muddy. However we decided to fight the real war, so we kept waiting. Luck was with us finally, 6 nice fellas from LogicaCMG came along and we had a team. :)

11:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.


Somewhere in the cave

2:30p.m.
At the exit of the cave, yes, we were at the middle of a stream

4:00 p.m.
Heavy downpour on my way back....

Raining scene as seen through my side window

View through my windscreen
7:00 p.m.


Arrived Penang exhausted. But I still dragged myself to get a Logitech keyboard. Well, for gaming purpose. Gotta bomb da snail. :P

Lessons Learned in This Trip:
  • Plan for the worst, hope for the best
  • Break things in smaller, logical entities and conquer them one by one
  • Things aren't as tough as they seem to be, attacking will make them easier
  • Taking actions is always better than keep thinking of the consequences

2 comments:

Jimmy L. said...

The 'Lessons learn' applies to chix as well, huh? (6)

Thanks for joining me.

It'll be harder if we ran short of even one less person on the trip.

Cuppa Chai said...

No problem, this trip was a challenge to myself also. :)

Lessons learn indeed are generic principles and I believe they can be applied from solving ultra complex semi conductor problems down to formulating strategies what to order during dinner.