Tuesday, November 14, 2006

GnuCash on Slackware 11. Running!


Finally I got this baby to run after hours of struggling. But the time was well-spent, first of all: I made it. Yeah!

As cream on the cake, I got the whole Gnome package installed on my computer with lots of sexy programs to play with (hey, completed with source codes. How much more we can ask for?). I am impressed by the quality of some open source software, say Gimp. I was trying to do a screen capture of my desktop and the misconception of "Linux means more nerdy work" still stuck in my mind. I was planning if I got to write a program to access the display framebuffer, read off the bitmap data, convert the raw data to compressed data, and save the file. Fine, I am ready. Guess what, the Ctrl-PrtScr sequence we are so used to under Windoze works on KDE + Gimp! Not only that, Gimp even has dedicated function (under File->Acquire->Screenshot) for this very purpose. The whole process just took 5 minutes (with 4.5 minutes playing with Gimp settings). Cool.

In retrospect, the road to this milestone (if it were really one) has been thorny and buggy, and I virtually touched all parts of the system. What I can pull off my head include:
  • Bad kernel include file. A program is using something only available in 2.6 series kernels (Solution: I pulled that header off 2.6 kernel and stuck that in my 2.4 kernel. It just works. ;) )
  • Pkgconfig problem (Solution: export the proper file path)
  • Docbook2html problem (Solution: Hack the docbook2html function to point directly to openjade, but a nasty hack because I didn't take care of some switches)
  • Guile and Slib problem (Solution: Hack the config file, as posted earlier)
  • Makefile problem (Solution: Manually add library load path on each Makefile)
  • Gnome installation problem (Solution: Clear the garnome cookie and force rebuild)
  • Crappy program Epiphany (the Gnome web browser) showing very useless error message:
    error: "mozilla" flavoured geckos aren't tasty enough!
    Ok, you can be funny, but you still need to provide more information on what the hell your program is expecting. Aren't tasty enough means WHAT??? All other issues are fair game to me, this one really pisses me off. (Solution: Just skip this crap. I have my dear firefoxy with me, I no bird it)

4 comments:

The Soothsayer said...

If you didn't know about the gimp stuff then you've been out of OSS loop for WAY too long. :)

Cuppa Chai said...

In fact I am not playing with Linux for some years. Now catching up... :)

Jimmy L. said...

Be a man, use Lynx.

Cuppa Chai said...

I use Lynx occasionally, for example to have a quick check up something on google, etc. :)