Monday, November 06, 2006

Negation of Good Software Engineering

While I was reading some random blogs, Stevey's blog on good and bad agile programming caught my eyes. That article is a long-winded one, touching on the agile programming methodology.

As an example of good programming practices, he quoted Google. What I found amusing was everything we did then was exactly the negation of what is being done in Google. The up-side for me is all these things I realized were unproductive and complained loudly to the management. Even though nothing was done and I left, but I am glad at least I tried.

Here are some examples (as according to Stevey):
  • Most Google managers code at least half-time
  • Schedule pressure is minimum, at least there is no Gantt chart floating around
  • Developers are encouraged to spend 20% of their WORK hour on their own projects. Please note I high-lighted 'work' to signify these are real working hours, instead of weekend or evening hours
  • There aren't many meetings
  • The work space is quiet

2 comments:

CYYeoh said...

"The Google Story" tells you more!

Cuppa Chai said...

Yeap, but even this small piece of information is good enough, google is great because it cherishes its people. Most companies don't seem to care about their people, this puzzles me.