Monday, January 29, 2007

You Think, Ergo You Are

Whenever I meet people, I will observe their characters, how they act, how they react, and how they think.

My observation is:
You are what you think you are
In other words:
Your current status (financial, emotional, companionship, etc.) is the consequences of your thoughts
To make things more solid, let's start with me, myself. I am, because I am thinking about this thought (as per Descartes) now. I take the 'negation' of myself to denote all external elements (the world, the universe, etc.).

We have two mutually exclusive elements, namely 'myself' and 'the external world'. The union of these will form a complete universe. Note 'the external world' can be defined on demand later, so I purposely leave it wide-open.

My argument is this: most of time we are defined solely by ourselves

Take myself as example, in Penang I don't have many friends, and in weekends I usually stay home. A lot of people think I am a poor soul of not having any company. I used to think in that way, too. However after some thoughts, I understand the problem and enlightened. There isn't anybody I know around here that worths my time (well, Fookie can be counted as one actually, but I usually don't pull people who have home-cookings out for meals). I am not trying to be a snob, but it is really hard to find someone who has similar interests as mine. For the guys, their main interests will be _only_ on the latest handphone models, women, sex, movies, and more women. Although my current colleagues are of much higher quality than the previous bunch, still there is still gap that I can't mend. Therefore my thoughts dictate my actions not to waste my time with them, as a consequence, I don't have many friends around. Fair enough.

Next, do you have friends or relatives who only barely make ends meet? I do. If you go closer and really observe how this person acts and thinks, you will find out the problem usually is not due to the failure of capitalism system; it stems from how that person manages and handles money.

The last example will be on relationship. There are a lot of single persons around. I have heard complaints after complaints of being lonely and the hardship of getting someone significant.

For some cases it is due to the inherent (asinine) social restrictions that force certain people (read: ladies) to remain passive and wait. However, in most cases I do think the problem again stems on how that person interacts and behaves. Egotism is the most common syndrome I have seen so far.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although my current colleagues are of much higher quality than the previous bunch, still there is still gap that I can't mend.

Ouch!!!

Cuppa Chai said...

Why, I thought you were leaving due to similar reason? :P

Jimmy L. said...

I'm pretty tired, so I'll write something inane...

For the love of chicks, sex, and female animals, it's said that 90% of the time, a guy's mind is thinking about sex.

If we think therefore we are, then the result should be that 90% of the time guys are with chicks, having sex, or spending time with female animals.

Since this is not the case, then either one of the premise must be false:
1) We think therefore we are.
2) Guys minds is sex at any random sampling in time 90% of the time.

Well, actually 2) is wrong...

According to Kinsey Institute:"54% of men think about sex every day or several times a day, 43% a few times per month or a few times per week, and 4% less than once a month."

One small step for a man, one big leap for a bunch of animals.

Anonymous said...

No, it's cause I didn't want to torture you in badmintonn anymore. ;)


You mean there are guys who actually don't think about sex 90% of the time??? And there are so many of them! Wow... incredible. I wonder if they did the survey in a monastery?

Cuppa Chai said...

Soothsayer: So you are now torturing korean chicks in badminton? ;)

F. Stream: Thinking about the opposite sex is something that being hard-coded into our genetic minds, nothing wrong about that. But if these are the only dominant thoughts in someone's conscious mind, this doesn't sound right to me.

Jimmy L. said...

It's hard to beat lies, damn lies, and statistics! (6)