Tuesday, February 05, 2008

World's Local Bank?

[Updated: Feb 13, 2008]
This is resolved yesterday (Feb 12).

The bank officer still failed to locate the registered mail. In fact, she said there was a registered mail sent from KL, but somehow it was 'bounced' back to KL. But when I pointed out there was NO receipt or mail stub left at my place for me to collect the registered mail, the officer was unsure why this was so. What amazed me was KL resent my check using only regular mail and again the bank officer couldn't explain why. My guess was because I had closed my account already and this service-level is what an ex-customer gets.

Finally I signed statutory declaration and a few forms to declare the previous check as null and void. Then the local HSBC bank re-issued another check to me on the spot. Phew, I never know closing an account is so difficult for HSBC.

======== End of Update ===========
Recently I have a really bad experience dealing with HSBC Malaysia.

The story goes this way: While in my hometown, I wish to close the account that I have in Penang. However after more than one month, there is still no sight of the account balance which is supposed to come in registered mail.

After endless phone calls, the bank officer in my hometown still fails to get hold where the registered mail is (present tense, because it has not been resolved now).

I am totally disappointed with HSBC bank.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the troubles of branding: one failed experience at one shop is extended to all shops with the same brand.

Perhaps it is an isolated case? Perhaprs it is one person's mistake?

Take it easy... POS Malaysia may have screwed up.

Cuppa Chai said...

The problem is HSBC still can't give me the registered mail tracking number after 3 working days. :S Now I was told I need to wait until the Monday after Chinese New Year for them to 'understand the problem further'. Sigh...

I don't know what other word to describe this bank except incompetent.

Anonymous said...

If you need assistance in solving your problem, please write to me at engkhenlee@hsbc.com.my

Cuppa Chai said...

I emailed the person above detailing the issues I have had with HSBC. They should have enough information to root-cause the issue. This doesn't really bother me actually, because I need a hell lot of convincing to do business with any HSBC entity again.

The Soothsayer said...

Level of customer service in Malaysia is terrible. Guess even HSBC is affected now. My father used to deal a lot with them and always sang their praises but it sounds like they have digressed.