Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bye Bye Moto

With mixed emotions, I announce the demise of my Moto Razr V3i phone.

I am not happy because this stupid V3i died at the time where there wasn't any phone on the market that I like. In order to replace it, I had to bite the bullet and chose one that I hate the least.

The symptoms of its ailing showed on last Friday, which I suspected was a sickness called firmware-couldn't-boot-properly, which led to complications like all-white-screen and slow-to-start.

An engineer I am, I was quick to give it the highly complicated operations of removing-battery-and-put-it-back and also removing-sim-card-and-also-put-it-back, hoping to save its life (Thanks to LY for suggestion of the latter operation). It survived for another 2 days until the following Monday.

It was a fine Monday morning, I powered on the V3i as usual, but it responded very slowly. The air was filled with ominous aura, foretelling the withering life of V3i. After trying all the methods I knew, the phone went from bad to worse and it couldn't even power down properly.

"Must be the stupid bootloader can't boot without a proper prior shutdown."

With that hypothesis, I painstakingly boot the device without sim card and let it shut down, to make sure the shut down sequences were done in order. It proved this indeed again pulled the V3i from the brink of dying.

Like a hunter in a treacherous ground, I trust no luck. With the gait of a well-trained innocent wolf, I dashed out my house, phone in hand and wallet in pocket. I didn't need much anyway. I reached down, yes, my undies was still on. Good.

Time was ticking, I went to a few places where famous hunter-gatherers meet and weighted the bargains. The games were abundant: Sony Ericsson, Nokia, LG, Samsung, etc. My mind had purposefully filtered out any combination of "Moto" or "Rola". No, these terms freak me out.

I was considering Nokia and went to one of the shops, but there was a sign caught my attention:

"Our shop has terminated the 7-days refund and exchange policy. Kindly please inspect your new handset before leaving the counter. Any issue after the purchase please proceed to the Nokia service center."

Shit, I heard Nokia is having quality issue, but I never thought it is so severe. I backed out and there was only Sony Ericsson. When looking at the selections, I was thinking to get T250i which costs S$200+, but the camera is only VGA.

I had been the ardent advocate of "a phone only needs to be a phone, no more", but I start to wonder will a multi-purpose phone can boost my productivity? With that in mind, with a big round of applause, please welcome the new member to my humble abode, Sony P1i!!!!

P/S: What happened to the dying V3i? I sold it, together with all its accessories, for S$70. It would be worthless in no time if I chose to keep it. S$70 is better than a piece of junk, in my opinion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha.. finally u got ur new phone....

Cuppa Chai said...

Yeap, join the SE camp. :P

The Soothsayer said...

Go mobile free! You don't need them!

Cuppa Chai said...

I am still trying to see if I really need hi-tech gadgets or not. They are here to stay for sure, for now I can only try to manage its use to minimize its impact on my life (and health). Keep fingers crossed. -_-